German Idioms that I hear All the Time



Learn German idioms to sound like a native speaker. 

Here is a list of German idioms I hear all the time since I arrived in Germany. This is a growing list.

1. Ich drücke dir die Daumen.
Translation: I am pressing my thumbs for you.
Meaning: I wish you good luck. It is the equivalent of "crossing my fingers" in English.


2. Das ist Schnee von gestern.
Translation: That is snow from yesterday. 
Meaning: that something is outdated, uninteresting or not new.

3. Die Kuh vom Eis holen
Translation: to get the cow off the ice
Meaning: to avert or defuse a difficult situation
Example: Da haben wir die Kuh nochmal vom Eis geholt. 

4. Halb so schlimm
Translation: Half as bad
Meaning: That's not so bad.
Example: Das ist alles nur halb so schlimm. 


5. Immer mit der Ruhe 
Translation: Always with the calm
Meaning: Always take it easy./ No need to panic.
Example: Ich muss noch Wäsche waschen! - Immer mit der Ruhe, das habe ich schon gemacht. 


6. Es ist noch kein Meister vom Himmel gefallen
Translation: No master has fallen from the sky yet.
Meaning: No one is born a master. 
Example: Auto fahren ist so schwer! - Es ist noch kein Meister vom Himmel gefallen. Übe weiter.

7. Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof 
Translation: I only understand train station
Meaning: I don't understand 
Example: Die Bedienungsanleitung ist so schlecht übersetzt. Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

8. Das ist mir Wurst/Wurscht 
Translation: That is sausage to me
Meaning: I don’t care (anything is ok).
Example: Möchtest du im Kino vorne oder hinten sitzen? - Das ist mir Wurst/Wurscht. 

9.Ich glaub mein Schwein pfeift
Translation: I think my pig whistles
Meaning: That is unbelievable/ really surprising!
Example: Der Nachbar hört schon wieder laute Musik! - Was? Ich glaube mein Schwein pfeift. 

10. Ich glaub’ ich spinne
Translation: I think I spin
Meaning: I think I'm going crazy
Example: Ich glaub' ich spinne! Deutschland hat gegen Japan verloren! 

11. Bock haben auf/keinen Bock haben
Translation: to have a (male) goat
Meaning: totally (not) want to do something
Example: Ich habe voll Bock auf Pizza!
Willst du tanzen? - Nein, hab' keinen Bock.

12. auf den Keks gehen
Translation: to go on the cookie
Meaning: to get on someone's nerves
Example: Meine Arbeit geht mir auf den Keks! 

13. die Nase voll haben
Translation: to have the nose full
Meaning: to be fed up with something
Example: Ich hab' die Nase voll vom Winter!

14. Abwarten und Tee trinken
Translation: drink tea and wait
Meaning: to wait, or to remain calm in the face of a stressful or worrying situation
Example: Wir müssen sehen, was passiert. - Genau. Abwarten und Tee trinken. 

15. Das ist nicht mein Bier/Ding
Translation: That is not my beer
Meaning: It's not my preference 
Example: Ich liebe Hip Hop! - Nee, das ist nicht mein Bier/Ding.

0 Comments

Search This Blog